Re: [at-l] Firelog cubes as Esbit fuel

Coosa wrote:

> 2-anything that is flammable (inflammable -- Felix why do those two words
> mean the same thing when one would think that "in" added to a word would be
> like "non" which it's not; do you have a story about this phenomenon?)

Well, first of all, Cooster de Gooster, this is not a fenomenon. It's just the
way it turned out. (Kinda like pitted olives having no pits, or pork ribs
having no bones.) Now, to your question:

Breaking 'flammable' down tells us that something is 'able' to 'flame'. The
word 'inflammable', however, has an entirely different way of meaning the same
thing. There once was a cathouse about a block away from the Carling's Brewery
in Detroit. (Carlings was famous for their "Black Label" beer) Since many of
the clients of the cathouse were brewery workers, the Madame took her
'stage'name from the Carling's advertising gimmick. Well, the cathouse fell on
some dire straits when the brewery closed in the mid-80's. Collectors were
calling, but there was no money. In an attempt to defraud the insurance
company, the Madame hired her brother to torch the cathouse. She foned her
brother to check on the progress of the scheme. "How's the brothel?" she asked.
"In flames, Mabel."

This story brought to you by the former fine folks at the former Carling's
Brewery.
"Hey, Mabel. Black Label."

This also made me think...does 'flambouyant' mean "Able to float in fire"?

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98