Re: [at-l] Trip Report, Thornton Gap to (ulp!) Skyland

#1- don't be too hard on yourself -- heat and humidity are very hard to hike
in --
#2- were you hydrating at each opportunity?  Did you hydrate before you went
to sleep and anytime you awoke during the night?
#3- clothingwise, were you dressed too warmly?  Were you using water to cool
down, pouring it on your head or clothes?  was there any place to 'soak your
feet in a cold mountain stream'?
#4- Buy some Ear Plugs so you can get a better night's sleep.  Half of the
term "heat exhaustion" is Exhaustion, no need to be hot AND tired if you can
help it.  A good night's sleep is expecially important when hiking in any
extreme weather.
#5- Can you go without the diuretic (coffee) -- check out how it affects
your ability to cool off when it's hot.  Also, better to drink water or
gatorade(r) or another substitute than the coffee, even warmed.
#6- Find an outfitter who can help get that Kelty E-frame fit for your
torso.  A badly fitting pack just adds stress and stress adds body heat.
#7- can you use Natrapel instead of deet products?  And have you tried the
'regular' Bounce Dryer Sheet to keep some of the flies and gnats away?  It's
not perfect, but it does reduce the numbers and give your insect repellant a
fighting chance.
#8- Was the rock you rested prone on hot or cool?  Did you have enough water
to cool yourself?  Animals usually have more sense than we humans, as they
roam/hike during the cooler parts of the day and curl up under some shade in
the heat of the day.  If you go out again this summer, consider getting up
early, hiking til 10:30 or 11, eating a nice meal,  taking a 3 hour nap and
then hiking from 3 to 7 or so before setting up camp and eating supper.
#9- Your attempt at Tuckerization is only the starting point, list your pack
contents and weights for the group to assist you in taking that 40# down to
around 20-25# without spending a lot of money.
#10- More important than reaching a "hiking goal" is knowing when to forego
the goal for safety or health reasons.  Better to email from home after a
hike than to be laying in a hospital bed for a hiking injury or illness due
to overexertion.

Coosa