[at-l] Thermarest and snakes

Regarding the question of what size to use, I use both a 3/4 length
thermarest light with a ridgerest partly under it. The ridge rest weights
virtually nothing and my legs and feet rest on it while my hips get the
benefit of both and my upper body is on the thermarest. I love it.

Also, I have seen quite a few snakes on the trail, very few of which were
poisonous. HOWEVER, I DID see a large moccasin on one trip just a little
north of Hot Springs, N.C. near a lake. It crossed the trail directly in
front of me. I realize that they are not supposed to be that far north, but I
live in Mobile, AL., and I KNOW what a moccasin looks like. :-).

I just got back from doing the 62 miles from Wayah gap to Unicoi gap, and it
was very nice. I did see a few snakes, but no rattlers. One hiker did say
that he had seen a large rattler in that area. Also, there were reports of
bear activity, but we
didn't see any.

Mike "Herb" McNair