Re: [at-l] More about snakes

-----Original Message-----

  In other words, if the bite does not hurt, I
>will calmly hike out!   I refuse to worry about more than this until it
>happens.  Gutsy

Also, we need to remember that the snake feels the vibrations and he can
tell by the weight (of pack alone) that the object coming around the bend is
not small enough to eat.

Sometimes and Older Snake will have a Snake-in-training.  The Older/Wiser
Snake knows not to bite the Large Object, but the Snake-in-training, being
not so wise, will sometimes strike.  Also older snakes can control the
amount of venom they excrete and younger snakes are not so disciplined.
THIS information from a friend who raises snakes.

NOT to make you afraid --because remember the incidence of lightening
strikes on the AT is greater than the incidents of snake bites.   You have a
better chance of running into an old high school friend/lover on the AT than
you do of getting snake bit.   (Hmmm, makes me wanna go out there right
now!)  (for the lover, not the snake) (altho' I've had a few lovers who
turned into snakes, come to think of it)

AND if you're using poles -- because they go out ahead of you -- they will
alert the snake to move off -- that snake at Kelly Knob let about a dozen
NoBos pass by without their even knowing he/she was there, the day we saw
him/her.  WE just happened to be SoBos and saw him/her on the northside of
the thicket of tall grass.  Had we been NoBo we would have walked right by
and never known.