Re: [at-l] Trip Report: Georgia-snake

In a message dated 6/8/00 8:40:20 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
jnorment@ea.com writes:

<< Anybody have some generic advice on dealing with snakes, how to avoid, how
 to deal if come face to face with a big mammajamma, how to tell which are
 poisonous?

I usually don't see the snake crossing or sunning on the trail until i'm just
about to step on it and it is more frightened by me than i am by it. They
really do scurry off quite quickly. I have a picture of a beautiful 5-1/2
foot (measured loosely against our Leki's) black snake that we saw in
southern VA in '99. S/he held still just after moving off the trail so we
could size him/her up.

I've seen so little wildlife on the AT (besides bugs) that i always find it a
thrill to see anything. That includes the ONE mouse i've seen in 530 miles.

Second Chance