Re: [at-l] I'm getting excited!

Otter Creek!  Have you done a lot of hiking in that area?  Much like yourself, I have a decent bit of long weekend backpacking experience in the Monongahela Forest, but have never been on the AT.  Actually, I'm heading down for my first bout on the AT at the end of the month.  It's just so nice to hear from someone that knows the territory that I know - I listen to all of these stories about the AT and just can't relate (yet!).

Sadly, I have not made it to Otter Creek yet, but that is in the works for this summer.  Any suggestions?  I've done most of my hiking in the Cranberry Wilderness and Dolly Sods areas.  Already been to Cranberry this year, planning to go to Otter Creek, North Fork Trail at Seneca, and maybe another trip to Dolly Sods this summer (in addition to the long awaited AT trip!).

Have gear, must play!  I'm getting excited too!  Should be a great summer!

>>> Tom Williams <Williams@AB.EDU> 06/08/00 12:32PM >>>
Kahley,

You might have misunderstood -- I've been weekend
backpacking for years.  It's just that I haven't been on
the AT, and don't understand its mores and folkways.

> I have never heard a short time hiker complain that he/she
> didn't bring enough food.  Personally it's the one area where
> I can easily overpack. You won't be out long enough for you

> to develop real hiker hunger so try to keep it minimal.

That is one of my usual weaknesses.  I recently Tuckerized
the heck out of my food packing, and got down to a "norm"
of 3 or 4 ounces for some mashed potato stuff plus jerky
for supper.

> Lipton's noodles in a bag and mac&cheese, in my book, beats the
> pants off of freeze dried (yucky).

I disagree, mildly.  I think that the Polynesian Chicken kicks butt!

> Snacking is good cause you may be too bushed
> at day's end to cook.

I *always* save enough energy to cook.  Part of it, in my
hike-your-own-hike heart of hearts, is that I really enjoy
"primitive" camping, and that I like walking as a way
of getting between campsites.  This is in contrast with
those who love the walk, and who camp as a way of
resting between legs of the journey.

> Should you eat at Skyland???  Money is much lighter than food <g>.

True!  Also, I just learned that some friends of mine will
be driving up Skyline Drive this weekend, and we may
rendezvous (sp?).  So much for solitude. :-)

> Aannnd...speaking of lightweight...I hope you understand the rules
> here <GRIN>.  Before a newbee hits the trail, he's supposed to
> post his complete pack contents so we can tuckerize it.

I'll plead guilty to being a novice, but after 4 years, I
take a tiny bit of umbrage being called a newbie.  OTOH,
I re-upped on this list because I know y'all have a heck of
a lot more experience (thus wisdom) than I.  So I'll take the
bait *next* time -- when I start planning a 4-day or week-long
hike, which will indeed need Tuckerizing.

> With great sensitivity,(HAHAHAH) we will go through you pack and
> tell you what we wouldn't take.  It can't hurt....and may make
> your hike more enjoyable.

FWIW, I really do try to re-evaluate what I took, whether
I used it, etc., after every hike.  I eventually determined that
I was never going to make instant pudding with nonfat dried
milk.  Conversely, I'm *still* trying to convince myself that I'll
make some use of the 10 oz Thermarest chair adaptor.

Re: food, I actually *enjoy* trying to have a nice meal,
even if it's a simple one, and I enjoy trying to figure out
how to get that meal with a stove that doesn't simmer. :-)

> One thing,
> the one real big reason to take a full length is for insulation from
> the cold ground in cold times  k.

Yup.  Thus, my wondering: is the PNC ground warmed up yet?
Otter Creek was pretty cold a couple of weeks ago.

--
  -Tom Williams