Re: [at-l] Grayson Highlands

>I tried to guest post from my daughters but got only one response and I need
>some HeLp.
>
>I'm taking an 8 1/2 yr old grandson backpacking the first week of July and
>now am told by his parents (my son and wife) that the boy has been raised as
>a wimpy wuss and won't make it half a mile.
>
>So, I need to know from someone who knows, is the Rhododendron Trail easier
>than the AT going to the Rhododendron Gap?  Can someone give me a little
>info on the Trail?
>
>Thanks in advance, as I shake my bewildered head,
>Coosa

Poor little boy. Yes, the horse trail up to Rhododendron Gap is somewhat
easier than the AT, but it's a lot rockier and often has recent evidence of
horses, if you catch my drift. We've taken it down the mountain once or
twice in really bad weather. If you really want some fun, take the Wilburn
Ridge Trail from the AT -- this is much tougher than either of the others.

If it's any consolation, my daughter first climbed Wilburn Ridge on the AT
when she was 4. It's a tough trail (although the first 1/4 mile out of the
parking lot is the worst part), but the views are spectacular.

Next question -- where are you camping? There aren't too many good
campsites right at Rhodo Gap, though there are some very nice ones south on
the AT within a half mile or so from the gap (with a nearby spring on the
horse trail), and also north on the Pine Mountain Trail, though the only
reliable spring on the PMT is at the intersection with the Lewis Fork
Trail, which is just over a mile from Rhodo Gap.

Cheers,

Ken
Big Cranky