Re: [at-l] I'm getting excited!

Food is a really individual thang.....so
take this with a grain of salt.
I have never heard a short time hiker complain that he/she
didn't bring enough food.  Personally it's the one area where
I can easily overpack.  You won't be out long enough for you
to develop real hiker hunger so try to keep it minimal.  Choose
satisfying foods that your body is familiar with to avoid
tummy troubles or worse.  Forget the canned tuna or chicken,
you can go without a protein fix for a few days or use jerky
or a lil'hunk of balogna or cheese.
Lipton's noodles in a bag and mac&cheese, in my book, beats the
pants off of freeze dried (yucky).  The most intense calories
per ounce are found in stuff like Little Debbies Snack Cakes.
They are easy to snack on, being individually wrapped, and getting
smooshed in your pack won't effect the taste.  Much of their
calories comes from fat so it helps even out the sugar highs of
straight candy.  Snacking is good cause you may be too bushed
at day's end to cook.
Should you eat at Skyland???  Money is much lighter than food <g>.

Aannnd...speaking of lightweight...I hope you understand the rules
here <GRIN>.  Before a newbee hits the trail, he's supposed to
post his complete pack contents so we can tuckerize it.
With great sensitivity,(HAHAHAH) we will go through you pack and
tell you what we wouldn't take.  It can't hurt....and may make
your hike more enjoyable.
Back to the food...for me, I'd pack a sub and a seven for first day
lunch, box or two of little debbie's coffee cakes (most of which
would be given away to thruhikers, 1/2 a mac&cheese for supper,
coffee and 2cheese danish poptarts for breakfast. And buy when I
could.

Tom Williams wrote:
> and decide whether to use the Long or Short
> ThermaRest.

Two schools of thought...one is that if you are doing it right,
you'll sleep as soon as you are horizontal no matter what.
Personally, I sleep as soon as I crawl into the tent.  But others
have trouble so need all the comfort they are willing to carry.
So basically I'm being no help here what so ever <G>.  One thing,
the one real big reason to take a full length is for insulation from
the cold ground in cold times  k.