Re: [at-l] Can you identify this odor?

Greetings,

When we hiked the North Carolina portion of the trail, we hiked it in late
Winter and had a bit of snow on the ground.  As I was walking along one
stretch through the snow, I kicked up apples.  We were in an old orchard
area.  The apples were still good, by the way, at that point of the year.
My guess is that, in the Spring, you may have actually smelled rotting
apples from one of those orchards of yesteryear.

Other than that, I also think the only other thing that produces a strong
odor, other than hikers, is the rotting plant material when there is a heavy
canopy above, usually around rhododendron.  When I first smelled that smell,
I thought it was a bear! :)

Tim

>  Gutsy writes:
>  <<  When I was hiking in North Carolina I smelled something that smelled
like
>  souring apples. I didn't see any plants that were flowering nearby.
This