[at-l] [SpiritEagle]Lingering in Lone Pine

Subject:
        [SpiritEagle]Lingering in Lone Pine
   Date:
        Mon, 05 Jun 2000 17:25:38 GMT
   From:
        "Jim and/or Ginny Owen" <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>
     To:
        spiriteagle@circumtech.com, weathercarrot@hotmail.com

Hi to all!  As Kahley said, we're taking a day off in Lone Pine to
rest up
for the next stretch.  At last, we'll be in real wilderness - over 200
miles
without crossing a road of any sort.  We're excited!  We look ahead at
the
snowy peaks and are so happy to finally be out of the desert and into
real
mountains again.  The surprising thing is that there is so little
snow.  We
were at 10,700 yesterday and didn't even find patches on the trail.
While
it will be a whole lot easier and safer, I'm also a little
disappointed that
we won't be facing the usual Sierra challenges of snow and streams.
What
we've seen so far hasn't been that tough - but then, I may be wrong.
In any
case, most of the heavy winter gear we had shipped to Kennedy Meadows
is
going back - except the ice axes, they might still come in handy over
some
of the passes ahead.  We're in a hiker hole - a day or so ahead of all
the
hikers we had been leapfrogging.  A lot of hikers gave up on the
desert and
jumped ahead, so we met a few new faces, but left them behind
somewhere
between Kennedy Meadows and Lone Pine.  Not everyone makes the long
drop
into Lone Pine, but we needed a bit of a break before heading back to
the
woods. By tomorrow, we'll be tired of town food and noise and ready
for the
peace and beauty of the backcountry.  In the meantime, bring on the
ice
cream!

Talk to you soon.  Walk softly,
Jim and Ginny
Spirit Eagle

Contact Jim or Ginny directly at spiriteagle99@hotmail.com (Jim and/or
Ginny Owen)

For list related problems, please contact listwright@circumtech.com or
kahley7@ptd.net (no need for both at once...)

***Writings of Jim and Ginny Owen:

The Thru Hiking Papers
      <http://trailwise.circumtech.com/thruhikingpapers/default>
Adventures of the SpiritEagle at Glacier National Park
      <http://trailwise.circumtech.com/montana/default>