Re: [at-l] Intro plus question

At 08:03 PM 6/4/00 -0400, Tom Williams wrote:
>With the exception of about 100 steps, I have never been
>on the AT.

>I intend to do a Friday afternoon through
>Sunday noon backpacking trip on the AT.  Can someone
>help me get started?

Given your two statements here, why don't you try some day hikes to start
with?  I think there may be just too many issues to deal with all at once
although you do say you have backpacking experience.  You can do at least
50% more miles with a daypack as with a backpack, so I think you'll be able
to find the answers to some of your questions that way first.

Plus, you'll be able to figure your mileage formula: if you can do a 15
mile dayhike comfortably, then maybe you can do 8-9 miles backpacking.
The Wizard!  A Querulous Icon of Insidiousness