Re: [at-l] Intro plus question

Tom Williams wrote:

> ...Questions:
> (1) Where can/should I go for a good "linear" (non-loop)

You could do worse than the center part of the park - say Panorama (mile
~26) south as far as you want, maybe to Rte 33. Or North, towards Dickey
Ridge. Or if you are starting fro H-burg, start at Swift Run Gap and
just hike north towards Bearfence and Big Meadows.

> AT hike within Skyline Drive?  Where should I start,
> where should I try to end up, what side trails would
> I be foolish to miss, that sort of thing.
>
> (2) Where does one set up a tent?  All the info I
> have encountered refers to shelters, cabins, etc., and
> that's not what I want to sleep in.

This is a problem, and one of the reasons people avoid the park, The
regs are VERY restrictive on where you can camp, a lot of people stealth
camp, but beware the fine - and bag your food. Or set up near the
shelters and claim to be a long distance hiker. Camping is a real
problem.

> (3) are there any logistical hints, e.g., "Call ahead
> to register, bring $10 for the car,...

It costs to enter the park, $5 I think.

> * I have two relevant references handy: the "AT Guide
> to Shenandoah National Park", and "Best of AT Overnight
> Hikes" by Logue and Logue.  I have no quad maps for
> the area, but I am assuming that the AT in SNP will
> be pretty hard to lose. :-)

All you really need are the PATC maps, Map 9 for the North and 10 for
the center.

Gary from Fairfax