Re: [at-l] info needed abotu NYC and trains

> I think I recall someone saying that in NY the AT passes near a passenger
> trail line and staton that goes into NYC. If anyone knows if this is
> correct and knows where, please send this information. I recently met a
> man visiting Chattanooga who lives in NYC. He doesn't own a car.
> Apparently this is not unusual for NY City dwellers. Anyway, he wants to
> visit the AT. Thanks, Hopeful

public transport in NY state is awesoem you can get anywhere as long as you
leave and go back to NYC ... there is a few buses that go out that way and
they are openign up a train line to poukipsie. errr some place near
newburgh-beacon bridge i can nto spell (actually abotu 15 minutes from the
bridge).  where the trail passes right through i got family living there not
even 5 miles form teh trail.

NY is a funny place my family comes from there it is a odd trap of sorts.
if you are born there you never want to leave. if you are nto from there is
a horrid place to live. very busy and hussle bussle all the time and very
very expensive.  THE city (aka NYC to none newyorkers)  if an odd place
where you can get anythgin you want for a price ANYTHING and it never goes
to bed. a neat place but i prefer teh woods.  (i was born there and moved
out befoer i was 1 year old... i still call new york home)

THE river(aka the hudson river)
has to my knowledge trains goign all up and down it ... you must therefore
be able to get a train ride from NYC to bear mountain area too..  i think
you can get anywhere upstate(any wher eout side of the city) in new york via
bus or train very easily if you stay on teh city side of river or the east
side... casue the west side of teh river is kinda empty.

jsut tell him bear mountain and the bear mountain zoo and he shoudl be able
to find some yorker that knows what he is talking about and can help him get
there.

so in other words yeah you can get upstate from teh city as long as you stay
on the city side of the river.  (if you forward this email to this guy he
might get a kick out of it)

and yes very few peopel in the city own a car .. why do you want one you can
walk just about anywhere you need and take the subway for anythgin else.
you just need to find parking spots for it worry about it getting broken
into and worry about it gettign all beat up.  plus it is faster to walk then
to drive in those streets.  i have realtives that enver even learned to
drive they were born in teh jewish bronx ad they will die there.  it is nto
jsut a city but a entire world!  it is not NEW YORK CITY is THE CITY.

Wisperlight the Polar Bear