Re: [at-l] info needed

<<  N.Y.S. Route 22, 1/4 mile north of Hurd Corners (Pawling, NY)
One way trip is $8.75.  >>

Be sure to buy the ticket in advance of boarding the train in NYC, or wind up
paying  a surcharge of an additional [I think it's] $2.00.

This is a great way to see the Trail, especially if his time is very short.
(I know people who spent fewer than 6 hours roundtrip, including the hike.)
The AT passes right over the tracks (heading southbound), passes along some
fields for a short bit, then into the woods, then back to some really
splendid views of farms, to the giant oak tree.  He can head up to the
Telephone Pioneers shelter, get a taste of a typical shelter and logbook and
hike up to the CatRocks, passing some great little falls -- nice views at
CatRocks.  Northbound is not quite as nice for a short walk -- passes over
fields for a l-o-n-g time and the blazes can be a bit difficult to find.
While it's still an interesting hike (takes him over lots of "ladders"
straddling fences), it just doesn't capture the feel of the Trail so much, I
don't think.

Another option would be to use bus service from NYC to Bear Mountain.  The
Trail can be picked up right from the zoo (below the Inn) and head either
northbound over the Bridge (but then, it's a roadwalk for a bit) before
heading into woods and a climb -- not the most pleasant hike)...

or Southbound up to the monument (which I love), then some rather fun hiking
in the woods up to some nice views.  The downside -- it tends to be crowded
on weekends; upside -- it's available on a weekday, if that's when your
friend wants to do this.  I can't remember which line serves the Bear Mtn.
Inn -- but a call to Port Authority would yield that info.

Trailmixup