[at-l] Woman gets $6,300 fine for boarding homeless....

article says "boarding" but fails to mention money trading hands....

PORTAGE, Ind; Thursday, June 1, 2000
A woman who continued to use her Valparaiso house as a homeless shelter
despite a court order has been fined $6,300 and faces a $300-a-day fine if
she continues.
The fine, which amounts to $100 a day for the 63 days Alfredia Payton failed
to comply with a previous court order, wsa handed down Tuesday by Porter
Superior Court Judge Jeff Thode. The city had sought the maximum fine of
$1,000 a day.
"Whatever fine you are imposing on me, I'm not going to be able to afford it,
so it won't be long before you bring me back into court and take my house
away from me and make me one of the homeless," Payton said.
Thode told Payton he had to fine her because she violated the court order.
However, he praised her effort. "More people should be as dedicated as you
are," Thode said.
Outside the courtroom, Board of Zoning Appeals attorney Lily Shaefer said she
would send Payton a letter offering to drop all fines -- if she agrees to
move to some other part of the city. "We're not out to get her. We just want
her to find a place that is properly zoned," Schaefer said.

Can you imagine some of our favorite trail angels/non-official hostelers
getting this kind of grief? Guess we should all be glad the AT doesn't stray
through ol' Valpo', Indiana.

Peace, y'all.

=====
Sloetoe

   "In order to realize the worth of the anchor,
      we need to feel the stress of the storm."