[at-l] HAD a Great Weekend (and then some) - trip report

Greetings,

Back at work, digging into the paper and e-piles that have accumulated over
the past week.  Did the 80 miles or so from Dalton, MA to Manchester Center,
VT.  A great stretch, with some great views, challenging terrain, and nice
shelters.  It also had a nice beat and was easy to dance to.

We did have rain, ranging from overnight showers that kept the trail *moist*
to a full-fledged thunderboomer with hail plinking us as we trod along.
Saturday was magnificent, with blue skies and great views.  By then my trail
legs and pack weight trend lines had intersected, keeping me moving well
ahead of the black flies.  The flies were a new experience; those little
things pack a punch.  A head net is a must when you're stopped, and
lightweight long-sleeves worked great since they can't bite through
clothing.

We had the requisite porcupine confrontation; I ran it up a tree and then
off early that night to keep it from gnawing on the shelter in search of
salt.  We followed moose tracks along the trail and narrowly missed seeing
one as it crashed through the woods 30-40 yards ahead.  The view from the
Stratton Mountain tower is fabulous, the new Stratton Pond Shelter is huge,
and Stratton Pond itself is a sight to behold.  Greylock and Bascom Lodge
are both impressive; the War Memorial is massive.  If you trek up and down
Greylock in the rain, you can thank Cosmo and crew for the new waterbars.
Given the size of the rocks they moved to construct them, they should be
there for quite a while.  Many wildflowers, including lady slipper and
trillium, were in bloom.  Too early for the mountain laurel but the azaleas
were beautiful.

Spent Saturday evening at Dalton House in Manchester Center.  Frank is a
gracious host, the rooms share a bath, and the price is reasonable (for
Manchester Center) at 2 in a room for a total of $50.  Met Mary Ann (La
Tortuga)of Trailplace journal fame at Stratton Pond Shelter as she continues
her quest for Katahdin after making it to Duncannon last year.  Jim
(Singletrack), a fellow Georgian, is also continuing this year from Harpers
Ferry and we met him at Dalton House.  I thoroughly enjoyed meeting them
both.  Manchester Center dining recommendations: Dinner - Sirloin Saloon,
Breakfast - Up For Breakfast, Ice Cream Shop - Ben & Jerry's.

Many thanks to Cosmo for all of the assistance on our hike.  For a section
hiker, successful logistics in getting to and from the trail greatly enhance
the quality of the hike.  His help made the travel to and from the trail not
only painless, but quite enjoyable.  I must say that we kept Cosmo's ride as
clean as we found it since we had benefit of a shower at Sutton's and had
hermetically sealed all wet and dirty clothes in our duffels.

The return flight to Atlanta, via Deeee-troit, was uneventful, and I got
back home just in time for a neighborhood block party.  After several
helpings of Wiliamson Brothers' BBQ and blackberry cobbler, I returned to
pre-hike weight in record time.

Looks like we're set to hike the 95 miles or so from Manchester Center to
Hanover, NH next year.

Take Care,

Tim