[at-l] South Walker remembers his hike - 5/19/1999

A sobo remembers 5/19/1999........

It is 1:15 in the afternoon and I have arrived at Rainbow Ledges. It has been an interesting morning. Sherry and I drove out to Abol Bridge, had a final cup of coffee together at the little store and a somewhat emotional goodbye. After a few pictures I wandered off down the road and suddenly realized I had left my hat in the car. I turned around, started back up the road and found that Sherry had discovered my error and was driving to bring it to me. We had another goodbye. Once I finally got all my gear together I walked on down the road, made the left turn and entered the wilderness area.

The humidity is very high, the sky overcast and the mosquitoes are everywhere. It is impossible to get away from them. I walk as fast as I can; it does absolutely no good. Finally I tie my hiking sticks on my pack, break off a couple of cedar branches, and flailing myself on the arms and legs, I hike down the trail. To an outsider I am sure I look like a complete idiot but it is reasonably effective. The trail is classical Maine, roots and rocks, roots and rocks. I keep a steady pace and make it to Hurd Brook lean-to where I take a pack-off break and made a short entry in the journal. I have been here before when I did a section hike of the wilderness in 1992 and I remember this shelter well. It is the same shelter I saw then but somehow it is different. The area around the shelter appears softer, not as stark. I had remembered it perched on rock but it isn't.

Hurd Brook has special memories for me. It was here, in 1992, that I got my left foot wedged in a rock while crossing the brook. In an attempt to keep from falling face-first in the water, I planted my right foot firmly on top of my left foot and mashed the nail off my big toe. The pain was just short of being poked in the eye with that pencil my mother always warned me about. Not the kind of thing easily forgotten. Today I am very careful with the crossing.

I have heard lots of birds this morning but I haven't seen any, mostly I have been looking at the trail. Beyond Hurd Brook as I approach Rainbow Ledges I watch the trail closely. It is no different that any other Maine trail but I am going slowly, without my sticks, and I am concerned about stumbling and taking a fall.

By the time I make Rainbow Ledges and stop for lunch the clouds are even thicker. The humidity higher still and the wind is blowing. I am hoping, really hoping, that the rain will hold off till I get to my camp for the night at Rainbow Lake Spring. It is only about 3 more miles and I leave Rainbow Ledges at 1:30. I would love to make it to Rainbow Stream lean-to but it is another 8.6 miles and I certainly don't think I have that in me. I really wish I did. My Nomad tent arrived only yesterday and although the instructions seem simple enough, it would be nice to not pitch it the first time in a downpour. Besides, the rain is suppose to continue into tomorrow. If there is anything I hate it is climbing out of a tent and packing up in a downpour.

I finally arrived at the campsite about 5:00, pretty well worn out. The Nomad went up without too much trouble although I didn't get the awning exactly right. Finally tied it off to a tree. I made a small fire and stood in the smoke which did a reasonable job of keeping the mosquitoes away while I cooked supper on the Esbit. I was in bed before 8:00.

Souh Walker

southwalker99@alltel.net
ME-GA '99
In hiking there is no special recognition given for speed, style or
finesse. There are only those that do the hike and those that don't.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---