[at-l] Two gifts

Okay, I will write something.  Consider them two gifts:

First:

My reflections on giving back and foot rubs to thruhikers at Trail Days.  I
spent some time on Friday and Saturday -- not nearly enough -- at
Pittsburgh's booth with a sign offering free foot and back rubs.  I'm happy
to say that the experience was very rewarding for me.  The idea came after my
limited experiments with foot and back rubs at last year's Trail Days and
Gathering.  Then, my offers were primarily limited to hiker babe listers.  I
felt it was time to expand to a broader audience (read not just broads! <vbg>)

It turns out that giving rubs is a positive energy task.  What I mean by that
is the energy required to give a rub is more than replaced from the energy
you get by relating in a positive way with another human being.  It did not
matter whether the person was male or female, whether their feet were clean
or dirty.  I received much more than I gave.

The ten or fifteen minutes I spent with each hiker was also wonderful because
I got them to tell me all about their hiking experiences.  It is fascinating
to see the unique way that each hiker and the Trail interrelate.  It was also
wonderful to hear the ooohs and ahhhs as the rubs relieved sore muscles,
ligaments and tendons.

I gave each hiker a piece of advice that I will hope you will count as gift
number 1 from this post: That each night after dinner they should offer foot
rubs (and back rubs) to those they are sharing the shelters, hostels and
campsites with.  That we as hikers get the idea in our heads that everybody
will be better off getting a footrub every day -- and that no matter how
tired we think we are, that giving a rub is a positive energy experience -- a
hundredfold if we get one in return.  And I don't just mean our
acquaintances, strangers should be included too.  This will definitely be a
credo of my hike, but I hope we can popularize this concept sooner.  You
southbounders have a chance to start this idea.  How about it?

Second:

Please read the book "tuesdays with Morrie."  This is a powerful book that
every hiker who thinks about the mysteries of death and life and its meaning
should read.  If you do read it, you will understand why it is a gift.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear

"The true profession of a man is to find his way to himself."  Still looking,
but I'm not finding any blazes.  :)