Re: [at-l] Tuckerize me pleeeze!

In a message dated 5/24/2000 8:09:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gary_ticknor@fanniemae.com writes:

 > 1- 4 > Fleece Bag                  20oz
         Seems kinda light>

it's been washed about a million times - getting a little threadworn - I
suspect it was more to begin with.

 >    7 > pillow  (I'll only give this up kicking and screaming)    7oz
         Kick, scream, and loose the pillow, gain the 7 oz

Jeeezzzzzzzzzz - yeah, I know  - this is when it gets really hard, but I did
ask for opinions.

 > 3- 0 > Eureka Gossamer         48oz
         >I hate bivies; good for you!

Hey - what a coincidence - I hate my gossamer!

 >    8 > Esbit/fuel/matches            8oz
        > For how many days?

That's for five days worth of tabs - seems heavy but I weighed it twice.

 >    1 > Photon (1 orange/1 white)      1oz
 >    1 > Swiss army knife               1oz
        > Do you really need this not-very-good-knife? (see: Crocodile
 Dundee - now THAT was a knife ;). Go up to 3 oz or down to 0.

This seems like enough knife for me - cuts parachute cord, bandages, food
packages. I have a little bigger knife I rarely use.I might reevaluate this
after my next little section. It is pretty though :)

 >    6 > Titanium pot                   6oz

        > No cup? Cool!

No cup!  I don't drink coffee and rarely Hot Chocolate and never in the
summer. Can always drink out of the pot if needed.

 >    3 > 96 oz Nalgene for camp      2.5oz
         replace with 1 liter soda bottle and save 2 oz

Hmmm - last time I looked, 1 liter didn't add up to 96 ounces - maybe I need
to use Gatorade instead of all that water? (no flames please, I have no way
to put them out now)

> 1- 2 > Tevas                             18oz
        > Do without or substitute 8 oz el cheapos - You only go for water
 once a day; put you boots back on.

Whine, whine whine. I guess I need to go to Walmart this weekend and take a
look at el cheapos.

 >   12  First aid/emergency kit (Ibuprofen, immodium, blister stuff, blanket,
 >      \ whistle, lighter,bearbag rope)         12oz
 >   12  Personal stuff (TP, baby wipes, ponytail holder)    12oz

        > 24 oz seems like a lot of personal stuff. Examine this more
 closely.

Hey - those ponytail holders weigh a LOT! Ya know, I just looked through all
the stuff again and can't figure out what I would do without. Time for a
second opinion maybe. The second skin blister stuff weighs a fair amount -
especially since I use it preventatively every morning - maybe I can trim the
packaging though.

 >   14 > Journal,maps, etc   14oz
         Use a lighter journal?

Good idea - I think I will just go back to loose-leaf notebook paper I can
re-add to my journal when I get home. Poof - there goes a few ounces.

 >    - > SIL Pack cover - Can't get it to register on the scale
        > ??? Least I can get mine down to was 2 oz, homemade out of 1.1oz
         silicon ripstop. I will look into these.

Its the coolest - once you figure out that hook and loop tape at the top is
meant to help you keep it on the pack- that stuff is slllllippery.

 >18-02 I get 18-01 (after rounding), not 18-06 - there's 5 ozs right
 there, thank you!

I'm a nurse, not a mathematician - gimme a break! But...since I just saved 5
ounces, can I have my pillow back?

 > Summer Gear:  (This does not include the Vasque Clarions, Thorlos,
 > Wigwam liners, bike shorts, nylon shorts or polypro T on my body)

> nylon AND bike shorts?

Pockets and chafing - need I say more?

 Looks like a pretty lightweight list right now!

Thanks for your help - I have a few more things to look at now.

POG
Anything is possible.