[at-l] Cheerio in the Smokies, part 5

She's catching up on these in Erwin en route to Trail Days. Yup, they're out
of sequence, but hey...more vicarious hiking!
Cheers, Navigator

We had a great dinner @ the smoky mt brewery with awesome beers and got an
early shuttle up to the trail and were hiking by 9:30 the next am.  was a
great decision.  we had dry clean clothes, had slept well and could get to
the next shelter, Pecks corner w/o problems.  Sky cleared and it was a great
day for hiking.  got to the top and found Pony & Spirit Dog had come back for
me and waited cuz weird homeless guy was hanging out @ icewater shelter and
they didnt want me to be alone up there.  Love how the trail community looks
out for everyone!  got to the Bunion and it was sooo awesome.  The views were
great and the ice melted so I could climb out there for pics and a break.
scared the tourists & day hikers when I didnt even stop, just handed a girl
my camera and walked up it with poles and pack to get a pic @ top.  there
were all these indrawn breaths, but hard to explain to them that the AT has
made us climb longer and harder rock faces already... didnt think anything
bout it until I turned around and everyone was just staring.  I felt better
when the next thru hiker to come along did the same thing, he even jumped a
little @ the top!  the bunion was everything I had been told it was and i
really enjoyed it.  the rest of the days hike was fun, mostly ridgewalk and
good views, got to the shelter to find not only the am crew, but several old
friends who had spent the night @ icewater.  later bumblebee & papa smurf
showed up and it was great to see them again.  That was our last good weather
day. from then on, the smokies became something to be endured and just gotten
the @$#%$# out of as soon as possible without getting hypothermia.  I had
planned to go to Cosby knob the next day, but it was raining so hard, a real
deluge, and cold & windy that most of us stopped @ tri-corner.  we all ended
up pretty much just moving together shelter to shelter in the rain.  that
nite weatherman showed up so we were all together again.  Me, Bumblebee, Papa
Smurf, Weatherman, Uncle Walt, Blue Duck and Screwy Squirrel  it was funny
when he walked into the shelter and said, My God, everyone is here!  Brit
also came in.  Hadnt seen him since rocky top.  we spent a long afternoon
feeding the fire to try and dry clothes and then all went to sleep cozily
nestled thermarest to thermarest because there weren't dividers on the top
shelf.  it made it very warm, although we almost had to roll over in unison!
Hey, Ruckers, Ramkitten from the Ruck was there with her hiking partners.
she's having a good hike.

Nothing much to say about the other days except they were repeats of the
early cold, wet rainy days with no views and no idea what was around you.  we
were all just talked of getting out of the park, away from shelters with boy
scout troops, and mostly Cheeseburgers @ Mt Mommas.  they are legendary and
huge and we were hungry hikers.  Every nite we talked about cheeseburgers
until we could smell them.  I even had a dream about eating one.  just lucky
I didnt end up eating my thermarest in my sleep!  Weird Homeless Guy showed
up @ the next to last shelter again.  We were getting used to him, but he
still makes most of us uncomfortable ... but we were all together and staying
that way so it was safe ... and the next day another miracle ... as I was
getting lower and almost out of the park, the sun came out and I got some
final good smokies views.

Cheerio  GA-ME 2000