Re: [at-l] Risk? and cell phones

Jim wrote:
 > While the risks are considerably
>greater, proper preparation, knowing the limitations of my skills, and a
>healthy dose of common sense keep the risks in a range that are acceptable
>to me. (Of course, friends and family think that I am totally nuts.)  I
find
>these things much more useful in an emergency situation than a phone or a
>gun.  If I ever thought that a phone was NECESSARY for my safety, what
would
>be the point?

Wiz, no one said Risk Free, just Know your Risks.  ie Be Prepared for them.

Jim, I hike solo, I rarely let people know where I'm going but someone
usually knows the general vicinity, (I'll be at A, B, C or maybe D) and when
I will call them to let them know I've returned (If I don't call from work
on Monday/Tuesday, send in the troops.).  The first rule of grandparenthood
is to live long enough to enjoy them as long as possible.  YES, I do take
some risks, but they are calculated risks.  I bushwack and got caught up in
a bear-den area (no bear).  I got "a might confused" with map and compass
for a few hours once.   But remember, these are 'my' mountains -- if I were
hiking in another territory, I'd have a different set of risks and I'd be a
lot more calculated about it.

And NO, I do not carry a cell phone -- the reason is that I'm an
ounce-weenie and I compare the weight of the phone against food or drink and
those who know me, know which is more important.  lol

I do use a CB when I'm traveling, though, just to keep in touch with the
traffic flow.  Does that count for something?  And if so, what?

Coosa