RE: [at-l] guns vs cell phones at 50 paces?

> If I was so fearful of my personal safety that I felt that either was
> nessecary, I think I would just stay home.  On the AT, other
> hikers will be by within a few hours at most, more likely within a few
> minutes.  If an emergency occurs where I won't last a couple of hours, the
> phone or gun isn't going to help me much anyway.  Besides, guns are heavy
> and phones are annoying.  I have a concealed carry license for my gun, and
> am required to stay linked to my job with a cell phone.  One of the main
> reasons I head to the woods is to escape from both of them.

Concealed carry permit for your gun? I need a concealed carry permit for all
of this electronic hardware I have to carry. It's bad enough that my cell
phone goes on vacation with me (yes, that includes hiking), but while on
vacation this weekend, the receptionist called me (long distance, on roam)
to tell me my RADIO had arrived and was on my desk!

I feel like Mel Gibson in "Beyond Thunderdome", it takes me ten minutes to
get rid of all the "hardware" to get through an airport scanner!

Lee I Joe