Re: [at-l] Hiking Poles

Snodrog5@aol.com wrote:
[clip]
> the turf and rocks. In late September the treadway was wide enough for four
> hikers to walk abreast, and the damage very noticeable. The Park was
[clip]

This speaks to a much more serious problem than treking poles. If hikers are
walking four abreast on the tablelands, they need to be educated. The top of
Katahdin is not able to take boot prints outside the designated path, let alone
pole tips - wooden, carbide or otherwise.

[clip]
>  I suggest that pole users refrain from using them in fragile environs.
[clip]

No argument with that, but on the hardened trail, in any region, they don't
cause significantly more damage than boots in my experience.

Of course, there are people who argue we should not be able to wear boots either
- or at least boots with a real tread.

-p
---
Paddler