[at-l] Hiking poles, thru hikers, Waterboy (Pickle), Datto, stars, GMC

Well - gee.  Where do I start? First, I took a kind of unoffical pole (pun
intended) of the thruhikers at Uncle Johnnys tonight.  (that would be the
hostel in Erwin, TN northbound, when you find a real road after No Business
Knob shelter,  "real" being relative)  I found that a) not everyone used
Leki's but b) almost (note I qualified that )  EVERYONE was using a stick or
two - and c) after hearing the testimonials (and SEEING them) most of them
said they wouldn't leave home without them.  (then again, would YOU pour what
smelled like diesal fuel on your feet ?  Hikers are an oddly trusting bunch.
Gotta love that.)

This goes back to the uninformed opinion - 'cause I'm sure that 10 years from
now SOMEONE will make SOMEONE do a "real" study, and find out that poles are
bad.  (Hiking poles, that is).  In the meantime - would you hike without them
(assuming you've hiked WITH them)??  Fine line between comfort and
environmental impact . . .

On to the other things -

Saw Datto today.  Briefly.  He decided to be GOOD and hiked into Erwin, out
of Erwin in the same day.  (good or smart, lets not quibble over terms <g>).
I'm not going to say a WORD about the thru hikers that I met that have slept
with Datto - and BRAGGED about it.   Or about his big . . . well, its a
family list - but ask him at Tdaze to show you his BIG " ......" and I"m sure
he will . . . (and GMC is responsible, I must say.)  Give Me Chocolate was
technically not there today (having hitched in from Indian Grave Gap, being
more northbound than most, or something).  However, I KNOW that she was
there, because every time Waterboy (DARNIT - PICKLE) introduced us to hikers,
somehow they kept mixing us up.  Now - if you had GMC and myself sitting in
front of you, and someone introduced us, please tell me WHY you wouldn't
figure out that *I'm* the Redhead and *she's* Give Me Chocolate??????  It was
funny the first time - by the third we seriously considered switching Trail
names . . . .

Well, anyways - met a bunch of ( read that 20+ or so) hikers tonight.  It was
fun.

And just remember this - if you just want to hike up and down the Trail for a
year, seek out Panama Red.  Perhaps he can tell you why.

Me? I'm just counting hours til Trail Days - WHERE WE WILL ALL BE MEETING ON
SATURDAY AT 1:45 AT THE PLACE.    Just in case you didn't know that. . . <g>

Oh yea - and the food was good . . .

The Redhead