Re: [at-l] Hiking Poles

Colin Fletcher's got nothing on your writing, jpJane.

--- Cora Drake <cora_drake@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Downsides:
> None of that's going to get my poles off me:
> They save my knees going downhill and let my arms help me climb
> They're depth sounders for creek wading
> They're a third point of contact with reality when slip-sliding away is too
> distinct a possibility
> They scared a bear away from my supper once, and I WANTED that supper!
>
> One of the most experienced soil-treadway trail maintainers I know chuckles
> a whole bunch at the idea that pole tips are damaging the trail.
### Good.

> That said, if it's true my carbon tips will harm rock surfaces, I'll cap
> 'em whatever way it takes.
> Anyone out there know for sure?
### Of course the carbon steel tips wear rock surfaces. So does the wind that
cools you. So does the rain that soothes you.
Yeah, you knew that....

=====
Sloetoe

   "Once in a while, you get shown the light --
    in the strangest of places, if you look at it right."