Re: [at-l] Hiking Poles

A while back I read a comment in Backpacker magazine quoting a NPS Ranger
saying that on the trails in his park hiking poles cause damage equivalent
to horse traffic.

Naturally I can't find the reference now.  I'm really undecided about
poles.  Much of my hiking I am carrying a tripod or camera, and want my
hands free, but I can see how they would take the strain off my knees in
some circumstances.  But then I don't want to chew up the trails.

Anyone out there care to share any observations of trail damage due to poles?

Thanks,
Tom