[at-l] trail work...

Chainsaw and Jeff Turner joined me and many stray thru-hikers for 3 glorious
days of trail maintenance in the Laurel Fork Gorge (Tennessee) this past
weekend.  There was a badly deteriorated section of trail that got our full
attention.  We did some relocating, some stair building, some water bar
building, and some treadway repair.  All of the work was supervised by Ed
Oliver and Bill Stowell of the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club (TEHCC), and by
Bob Peoples, who manages the Kincora Hostel...

For those of you that are familiar with the Gorge, we worked on the trail
section that ascends northbound (sidehilling along a very steep hillside) to
the shelter blue blaze (or descends southbound from the shelter blue blaze
if you are a stinking southbounder).  We had a hiking dog helping us on
Sunday (he would escort hikers as they passed through the work sight - we
also had plenty of salt tablets and Gatorade and I chiseled ILOVEYOU into
one of the trees <g>)...

I will again be forming a crew for TEHCC trailwork during this same weekend
next year.  So, plan ahead, and mark your calendars for the first weekend in
May...

Hope to see many of you at Trail Days...

pittsburgh