Re: To Sharon's Re(2): [at-l] Dehydration Questions

--- Sharon Sharpe <ssharpe@wellesley.edu> wrote:
> they are much more expensive than water
But we're not talking dollars. And CoolAid/Morton's Lite (Na/K) is dang
cheap.

> The USOC recommends not taking salt tablets, but getting salt
> through diet.
### The same folks that brought us the disasterous '96 (Atlanta) Olympic
Marathon, where one of the largest attrition rates of any modern Olympic
marathon was recorded, with scads of lower leg cramps, and NO salt available
"on course" -- even the paramedics? *That* USOC? Ouch.

> On an anecdotal note, I worked a few Boston Marathons keeping coolers
> filled with Exceed for the runners.  The Exceed rep kept coming around
> telling us we were using too much water, followed about 15 min later by
> the head physician who kept telling us we were making it too strong and to
> add more water.
### Obviously, somebody was screwing up. I have never tried Exceed myself,
but recall more than a few bashing it pretty thuroughly. But this is a whole
industry to itself: there's a whole SERIES of races in Indiana sponsored by
AllSport. AllSport frequently goes by the name AllSpurt, because it is
fructose-based, and as such is not well treated by the body during exercise,
thus passing through the body....somewhat....underdigested. Stupid product,
but it sells.

see. Fruth,J.M. and Gisolf, C.V: "Effects of carbohydrate consumption on
endurance performance: frutose versus glucose." In Fox, E.L. ed.; Nutrition
Utilization During Exercise; Ross Laboratories, 1983.

=====
Sloetoe

"And yet we shouldn't have needed the cataclysm to love life
today. It would have been enough to think that we are humans,
and that death may come this evening."   Marcel Proust, 1922.