[at-l] Sodium

If I recall correctly, when doing a fair amount of physical exertion (ie. hiking!), a person needs X amount of sodium to retain water. However, I would think that the typical hiker diet (Snickers, Lipton's, Mac&Cheese...etc.), is mainly pre-packaged type of things that are high in sodium to begin with. That should be more than adequate to retain water.

Now, for cases of heat exhaustion or heat cramps, DILUTED Gatorade seems be a good course of action. The full amount is not reccomended. (Or so I was told in my EMT classes...)