Re: [at-l] Offline? was Dehydration

Hi, darlings. How can I suggest you chat offline without sounding like
Mommy? How ever ...

btw, speaking of moderation, there's NOT doing 20s in sequence in hot
weather. But I'm getting old, and never did have much testosterone.

Also btw, if this is going to elicit flames, please know that I don't plan
to open any further messages from you fellers today ...

Ta.

Just Playin'
Fun Rules
Life's short,
etc.
>From: ThatSloetoe <sloetoe@yahoo.com>
>To: Orange Bug <orangebug74@yahoo.com>
>CC: at-l@backcountry.net
>Subject: Re: [at-l] Dehydration Questions for 'The Doc-In-The-House'
>Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 06:38:03 -0700 (PDT)
>
>A) I have been quite clear.
>
>B) Reread your posts.
>    You have maintained that
>    1) "Gatorade" and such are oversold and
>    2) the ones who would *need* such things are "elite" athletes
>
>    I have responded that
>    1) The "untrained" athlete is *precisely* the ones most in need, and
>    2) to pooh-pooh Gatorade or its proponents as "elite" level is to
>        a) irresponsibly
>        b) promote unneeded discomfort
>        c) through an ad hominem dismissal.
>
>C) AGAIN: Take a hike. (I'm serious.) Or do SOMETHING and exert yourself
>until you leave that oh so fine powdery residue. Then tell one and all
>about
>how water is all you need. (Except that in the post below, you begin a
>description of electrolyte loss. I guess kiddie-electrolyte is not
>oversold...)
>

>--- Orange Bug <orangebug74@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Excuse me, but I must be missing something here. You seem pretty angry
> > over something with this, as if I somehow endorse death marches as Army
> > training or sport.
> >
> > Carbohydrate solutions do not necessarily contain salts - for instance
> > D5W. Gatorade and similar powders and solutions are electrolyte and
> > carbohydrate mixtures. They have a role, but diluted and moderate use
> > is advised. Electrolytes are lost in several ways, including urine,
> > defecation, sweat and emesis. As heat acclimation occurs, the rate of
> > electrolyte loss alters from these sources.
> >
> > Somehow I don't quite understand the idea that I recommend suffering
> > from dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, heat stroke, or any other
> > hazard. Water remains the most important factor in dehydration, and not
> > the only factor. Even the military will discipline officers and
> > instructors who fail to attend to these hazards - as a recent marine
> > officer learned in court marshall.
> >
> > I don't think I am questioning your manhood, athleticism, or knowledge.
> > I've only suggested that moderation with commercial "sports"
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]