Re: [at-l] Dehydration Questions for 'The Doc-In-The-House'

Excuse me, but I must be missing something here. You seem pretty angry over
something with this, as if I somehow endorse death marches as Army training
or sport.

Carbohydrate solutions do not necessarily contain salts - for instance D5W.
Gatorade and similar powders and solutions are electrolyte and carbohydrate
mixtures. They have a role, but diluted and moderate use is advised.
Electrolytes are lost in several ways, including urine, defecation, sweat
and emesis. As heat acclimation occurs, the rate of electrolyte loss alters
from these sources.

Somehow I don't quite understand the idea that I recommend suffering from
dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, heat stroke, or any other hazard. Water
remains the most important factor in dehydration, and not the only factor.
Even the military will discipline officers and instructors who fail to
attend to these hazards - as a recent marine
officer learned in court marshal.

I don't think I am questioning your manhood, athleticism, or knowledge.
I've only suggested that moderation with commercial "sports"
electrolyte/carbohydrate solutions is wise. What has "honked" you so about
this?

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA