Re: [at-l] dogs in the smokies or anywhere else

 I agree with crzyplum. My hiking partner is my 9 year old black Lab.
Shadow is better behave'd than some hikers I have met. He is fully trained by
voice command and hand signals. I do not put him on a leash! That would
cruel!  He stays about 10 to 15 yards in front of me and if I slow down going
up hill he waits for me.
He knows that shelters are out of bounds. He doesn't yogi.
I am aware of his health at all times when we hike, so I keep the mileage
down to what I know he can handle, avoiding paw problems. I also know that if
he does become injured I will drop my pack and do what ever it takes to get
him to a Vet.
Bottom line is if the dog is well trained by all means take him (or her) if
not, train him on small day hikes until the dog is ready for real
backpacking. I might also add that it may take some time to get the dog used
to wearing a pack. I was lucky Shadow took right to it. I am sorry so many
feel the way they do about dogs on the trail but my feelings on the subject
are that they have just as much right to be out there as we do.