Re: [at-l] Story about people Was Message From EJ - Freefall

I am sorry if I offended you or the couple you are transcribing for, I
purpursely did NOT use the names of anyone except EJ in my post.

To my knowledge, EJ did communicate with WF -- there's been positive
interaction there.

-- and why did you assume that the couple you are transcribing for were the
"negative duo" in my post?  Perhaps they were, perhaps they were not, but I
didn't use names.  I could have used "this couple" or "that couple" or
"anyone who writes like Bill B"  (ohhhh I will get shot down for that one!)
or any other number of descriptive or non-descriptive adjectives.

Since my descripition was generalized, do you also feel that the couple you
are transcribing for could be thusly described?

What is a transriber and what is that person's moral and ethical obligation
to the person he transcibes for and to the general public who reads what is
transcribed?  If your hikers sent you a scathing, hate-filled diatribe
against a minority segment of society, for example, let's say
Afro-Americans, would you feel obligated to post it?  Would you decide on
your own not to post it?  Would you try to contact the hikers and discuss it
with them?  Do you have a moral obligation to make sure that what you post
doesn't harm or hurt anyone else's hike?

My personal opinion is that one person's rights end where the other's nose
begins.  My grandmother taught me that if you can't say something nice about
someone, you should not say anything at all.  And she also told me that
everyone had nice qualities if you were willing to take the time to find
them.

Maybe some stories of the Trail are meant just for the hikers and are not
meant for public consumption.

This is a moral and ethical decision on the part of the hiker and the
transcriber.  I would be interested in reading any legal document you signed
when you agreed to post a journal.

Coosa