[at-l] Cornbread

On short backpacking trips and car camping trips we have used Jiffy cornbread mix in a backpacker oven for breakfast.  Jon carries a squeeze bottle of syrup to pour on it.  I wouldn't recommend this for a thru-hike because of weight, but it works great on a short term hike.  The egg is fine just a couple of days out.  Use re-constituted powdered milk for the liquid in the mix.

And because you're going to think being raised in Illinois makes me a Yankee please excuse this note, but the BEST place in the whole world to eat barbeque is either Mack's or Shemwell's in Cairo, Illinois.  Not sweet barbeque, spicy hot barbeque pork shoulder with hickory taste all through it.  Hickory smoke makes me very homesick.

Now if it's barbeque pork ribs you want, you have to go to my friend Susan's in Memphis.  Her husband's barbeque team (called Hazardous Waist) qualified for Memphis in May (and if you really know barbeque you'll know that Memphis in May is the Number ONE barbeque cooking contest).  If you can get Phil to fix ribs for you, you will be in barbeque heaven.

with extreme prejudice,
Joan
bluetrail@aol.com