Re: [at-l] Bag question

I just got this response from OB:

<<You can post this to the list if you like.

I have a WM Puma 0* bag, apparently the extra long. I use a $20 Target
fleece bag from mid May until mid September. With a tent, you will stay
warmer. The decision on a 0* bag was the fact that I got it as a gift
one Christmas, and I felt it was overkill.

From March and fall hikes, I'm not so sure anymore. I like the warmth
the bag provides, as well as the option for drying clothes and sleeping
with less cover when it gets too warm. You also have more choice about
what warm clothes you will wear to bed, if any. Clothing can
significantly extend the temperature rating of a bag. I suspect the
judicious use of a Mylar emergency blanket could also protect you in
case of a severly cold night in a 20* bag.

I remember one night that got near 10* in the city below a spur of the
moment camping trip. The 20* bag then was very uncomfortable. 20* is a
common weather event on the AT. I doubt there is 4oz difference in FF
20* and 0* bags. I'd encourage the 0* bag with the hope that clothing
weight can be saved.

All good points. I guess what I should have failed to mention is that I
typically sleep fairly cool. I can't use the fleece as a bag until it is
above 50* at night so I usually end up carrying my regular bag 9-10 months a
year - even here in the south. I am concerned that a 0* bag would be overkill
for a 45* night. Gee - that sounds kind of stupid even as I type it.

I guess what I am looking for is functionality vs. pack weight. The 20* bag
is 2 pounds 5 oz (approx.) and the 0* bag adds 11 ounces.  I can don clothes
if it is only a few nights at 15* but I am tired of sleeping cold, even in my
tent. (whine, whine, whine)

POG