Re: [at-l] Trail Info, please

In a message dated 04/28/2000 12:22:47 PM EDT, sproude@earthlink.net writes:

<< Hi I am new and in the early stages of planning to hike the Appalachian
Trail
 (which is AT to you veterans).  What is this ATC data book and where can I
 obtain one. >>

The ATC Data Book.
ATC -- Appalachian Trail Conference

The Appalachian Trail Data Book is updated every year. It is a small book. I
gives the most up to date information on the AT mileage. Locations of
shelters, campsites, water, groceries, lodgings, restaurants and post offices
within about 5 miles (unless something is closer then 5 miles) of the AT,
where it crosses a road.

143.5   Woody Gap, Ga. 60 (3,150')
            Suches, Ga. P.O. 30572
           (w 0.1m W; P.O., G 2m W)                            RGw
20.0
144.9   Ramrock Mountain
   18.6
146.1  Gooch Gap, USFS 42 (2,784')                          Rw           16.4

w -- Water
W -- West
G -- Groceries, supplies.
R -- Road access

Some outfitter carry it. Can be obtained also form the ATC. They have an
online store. URL: http://www.atctrailstore.org/

ATC's web site URL:  http://www.atconf.org/

Wildbill