Re: [at-l] Poll results - Still time to vote

In a message dated 04/26/2000 11:33:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wdaniels@bestweb.net writes:

<< In some sense the examples are examples of the price we should be
 willing to pay for having wilderness areas >>
On this one we are going to have to agree to disagree.
My feelings are in between those who are [my affectionate words] wilderness
maniacs and those who think wilderness areas are stupid. Even tho my ideas
are in general somewhere down the middle, as far as Trails go I think that if
it is a wilderness area there should be no trails there.

Back to the Vote
I am glad that lots of folks were voting yes early and often to add some
balance to the high percentage of No votes so that it did not appear as if
everyone wants OHV's everywhere. But personally I avoid all of these Poll
Votes especially when the wording of the question seems 'loaded' or lacks
detail.

It is obvious that you have far more faith in our government bureaucracy
doing things right than do I.
And your comments to my wilderness examples only strengthen my concerns.
In the first you say the non native gravel should not have been carried in,
and the worker was carrying in almost two tons because the native gravel did
not meet spec.'s for trail building, see a conflict in regs here, I do. If we
didn't try to legislate minutia but let professionals handle situations
individually I'd be happier.
With the second you say the trash should have been removed before it became a
wilderness area. It wasn't trash it was machinery [this was several years
ago] if I remember right it was something like a pump for an oil well.
Whether it should have been removed first is mute as it wasn't. And rather
than a quick in and out with a heilo it was men & mules with lots of
disturbance to the serenity. Again, to me, not necessarily the better choice
for the environment.
In my kinda humble opinion one set of rules just don't cut it for all places
the Grand Canyon is different from Mammoth Cave and maybe each needs
different treatment.
I've enjoyed our discussion, hope we didn't bore everyone else to tears.