Re: [at-l] Poll results - Still time to vote

wdaniels@bestweb.net (Walt Daniels) Writes

<<False - uses under those circumstances are always permitted>>

Sorry but I disagree. In particular with the always and that was my point
about the substance of the question being too narrow i.e. To Ban or Not To
Ban.
I am in no way challenging the circumstances you mentioned but you are
referring to things as they are now or were sometime in the past. If in fact
the NPS is considering a ban on OHV's that means they are thinking of making
changes.
Perhaps the change would result in rules like the ones that resulted in the
following.
[these concern the non use of "motorized" in wilderness areas]

I was returning to the Trailhead from a hike to Harney Peak in the Black
Hills, South Dakota in a wilderness area.  I met a fellow hiking up the trail
with what appeared to be a very heavy pack. We stopped and chatted a bit; his
pack was 90# of gravel that he was carrying 1 1/2 miles to do trail
maintenance. He was on his 5th trip of day and he would spend his summer
being paid to repair a section of the trail. The section being repaired was
alongside a creek. He had to carry the gravel the mile and a half because
motorized use is forbidden in the WA and because he couldn't use gravel from
the creek because it didn't meet "Standard" for trail use.

Case 2) I was discussing case 1 with a NFS Ranger in Ky and he related how
much Tax $$ was spent in his Forest, WA to remove [I forget what] that
required removal due to the declaration of the area as a WA. The expense and
many, many man hours were expended because they were prohibited from using a
helicopter to make one trip in to airlift out the offending [whatever].
My point was and is that the law of unintended consequences is alive and
well. We should move very slowly before using Never & Always.
This has gotten too long. I must be off.
Justakahike
Plum'Crazy