[at-l] late southbound

I'm considering a very late August - very early September start on a southbound. Any thoughts on that time frame?. I'd much rather hike in relative cold than hot. I don't particularly want to have to bring the webs with me, though. It seems to me that the southern mountains get most of their heavy snow in January or February and even later. Am I dreaming on this? I should be able to finish sometime in January. I'd think the traffic would be just about nonexistent that time of year. Any ideas on how scarce water could be during that time this year? Would a flipper be a better idea....don't particularly want to do it that way, for some reason I can't explain, but.....

Thanks for the good info I know I'll be getting,
BeachBum

Sign-UP for your FREE Backpacker Email at http://www.backpacker.com/email
P.S. Click here to get a FREE trial issue of BACKPACKER:  http://www.backpacker.com/subs/home.rhtml/I9KF001