Re: [at-l] Tarp/Tent

>>> Billy LeGrone <blegrone@dbtech.net> 04/25/00 12:52PM >>>
I am considering using a tarp with a plastic ground cloth instead of my
tent in spring, summer, and fall. Is there any advantage to the "parabolic"
design over the square or rectangle design.
### Well, the parabolic *look* really cool! (Actually, I think advantages might just be reduced to the fact that since the parabolic are canternary-cut, they pitch with much less wrinkle than a straight cut shelter, thus provide less bite for the wind, thus survive wind with much less noise and failure. But *any* canternary cut'll do it.)

I backpack with two boys, 9 and 11. What size would be most appropriate?
### Depends on how much useable height you want in a storm — the less height, the more sized like a "blanket" the tarp can be. If you want to be able to stand up underneath it in a rainstorm, You'll need a lot more extra. Also, two smaller tarps might allow you to be more creative in *how* you camp, giving you greater flexibility in *where* you camp.

Also, since most of our hiking is in the southeast does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep the mosquitos and other iritating insects out of the tarp/tent.
### Nope. Except to camp in the places with the breeze which you may be trying to avoid in the rain. And block out with the tarp.