[at-l] Tarp/Tent

I am considering using a tarp with a plastic ground cloth instead of my
tent in spring, summer, and fall. Is there any advantage to the "parabolic"
design over the square or rectangle design. I backpack with two boys, 9 and
11. What size would be most appropriate? Also, since most of our hiking is
in the southeast does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep the
mosquitos and other iritating insects out of the tarp/tent.
Thanks.
Billy