[at-l] Message from Datto

Hi everyone,

I got a message from Datto yesterday too.  He was taking a scheduled day
off at NOC, which was a good thing since apparently it snowed up on the
peaks on Friday night, and he spent the day Saturday getting pelted by ice
melting from the trees as he hiked into Wesser.  He said the Trail was
really slippery and it he fell several times... tumbled is actually the
word he used (and I thought perhaps if this kept up we might change his
trailname to Tumbles).  During tumble 6 or 8 (total, not for the day) he
managed to land on his knee, so he was glad to have the day off to let it
heal.

Apparently he also managed a successful yogi (after several unsuccessful
ones from the sound of it) for (in his words) not ONE but TWO butterscotch
candies from some dayhikers.  The message was really funny.  He couldn't
even speak in complete sentences, and sounded completely distracted and
disorganized.  I remember that feeling... like getting food, sorting
maildrops and doing laundry was just TOO much to handle all at once :-)  He
also said he can't believe how MUCH stuff he sent himself and he's sending
a bunch of it back (home I guess) or ahead to himself.

Anyway he's having a great time and meeting lots of funny people... as if
he ever meets any other kind.  He was headed out today over Cheoah Bald
toward Fontana.  It sounds like he's having a blast.  He also said he's
sent about 9 days of journal to his transcriber but they haven't been
posted yet.  Hopefully they will be soon, so we can all read about his
adventures written in true Datto style.  That's about it.

Twilight