[at-l] Snow/altitude hiking advice/ NV trails?

Howdy all.

I'm off for a while off southern Nevada and checking out some of the
local hiking spots (including 10,000 plus foot South Sister last
thursday.  Wow!).  Believing that I was coming to a desert and (being an
easterner) never having seen a mountain over 7000 feet except in
pictures, I was a little surprised by the snow and the affects of the
altitude.

First off - and winter white hikers could probably help me here - any
special preps for snow in the mountains?  I was seeing anywhere from a
few inches to a few feet on the way up the ridge lines.  Probably
wouldn't have made it without poles.  Should I be packing in crampons?
What conditions do you (really) use them for?  Anything else?  I've done
plenty of flatlands snow camping, so the temp and falling snow aren't
really my concerns here.  I'm just trying to minimize the chances of an
accident.

And what about the altitude?  I was really surprised how easily I was
getting winded at 9000+ feet.  Anyone have any suggestions other than
taking lots of breaks?  Any guesses on how long it will take me to get
acclimated?

And btw - anyone have any backpacking suggestions for within a few hours
of Vegas?  I've already been off checking out Mt. Charleston and Red
Rock, but I'm still looking for some good multi-nighters.

Thanks!

--tom