[at-l] Hike Report part 2

Sunday, April 16.

    Awoke at 6:00 AM to a blue sky and promise of a great day.  A group next
to us consisting of 3 women and one man where asleep when I started our stove
to boil water for oat meal and hot chocolate.  Everyone got up pretty
quickly.  They were not yet trail tired having only hiked 3 miles yesterday.
Lori complained that she got wet during the night.  Said her brand new
ClipFlashlight CD leaked.  I checked it over.  The two girls did not zip the
inside tent bottom and did not stake out the rain fly properly.  I hadn't
check that tent last night because Rachelle was in it and I expected her to
know better.  She just didn't want to bother.  I guess she is still learning
like all of us.
    Breakfast went smoothly with no complaints.  We were out of camp before 8
AM.  By that time the 3 ladies and the gentleman where up preparing for their
day on the trail.  We headed north hoping to hike 8 miles to Mount Algo
Shelter.  Near Bull's Run Bridge we saw fisherman out early for 2nd day of
fishing season.  There were kayakers on the Housatonic River enjoying the
great weather.
    We stopped about 11:30 AM some place on Shattichoke Mountain near a
stream for lunch and a water refill.  The women and man caught up with us at
this point.  They were full of praise for the behavior of our group and
amazed that anyone would bring a High School Group back packing.  Mandi and
Laura were mother and daughter.  Together with Sara and Tom they were members
of the Conn. chapter of the Green Mountain Hiking Club out for a CT hike of
the AT.  Sara suggested the hike at a recent meeting and the others thought
it was a great idea.  We left them at the stream to continue our hike.  It
was not long before Laura caught up and passed us.  Eventually we reached the
Mount Algo Campsite very hot and sweaty from our hike.  We used bandannas to
clean the trail grime off our bodies then began preperations for dinner.
    Tom had to leave the trail.  He needed to get home to finish preparing
his tax returns.  Since he returns his paperwork to Andover Mass.  he had
until MidNight on Tuesday the 18th (17 Patriots Day legal holiday in MA) to
send his return.  He offered to help us shuttle cars so we did not need to
leap frog them on Monday as planned.  You never know when Trail Magic will
strike.  After moving the cars he dropped us off back at the trail head.  An
UltraLight AT Thru Hiker from 99 was walking up the trail to spend the night
at the Shelter.  He did not have a trail name.  He used a Nomad, wore running
shoes and a pack with no waist belt.  He had all kinds of gadgets he was
trying.  The most impressive was a flashlight with 4 LED bulbs.  It was like
having 4 PHOTON lights turned on at the same time.  All the bulbs were blue.
They lit up the trail so well that you could make out colors of rocks and
plants.
    By the time we arrived back at camp my kids had made friends with a man
and two boys using the shelter.  Bruce and his son Travis were out doing 50
miles for a Boy Scout Merrit Badge.  Hans came along for the walk.  They
carried pretty heavy packs with all types of extra equipment just to be
prepared.  Bruce was not at all impressed with UltraLight's Nomad.  But a lot
of people don't get it.  They are not really into long distance hiking.
Camping is their usual persuit.
    John and I had a late dinner of Mashed Potato, beef jerky, hot chocolate,
tomato soup, and instant pudding.  We hit the hay about 8:30 PM.