[at-l] Hike Report part 1

 I brought a group of 10 people including myself for a 6 day hike along the
AT in CT.

April 15th.
    Departed South Windsor HS parking lot at 1 PM with students JD(senior
entering US Army Reserves in June), Chris (leaving for Naval Academy on June
28th), Dennis (enlisting in Army Reserves as of Aug 3rd),  Michelle (Senior
starting college in July), Jennifer (a sophomore), Lori (Junior), and
Rachelle (junior).  Except for Chris and Rachelle the group is all
inexperienced backpackers.
    Rachelle is the expert hiker in the group.  She has learned from her
mistakes.  The first time she hiked with me she carried a TV over Kinsman
Ridge for three days.  Next time she brought eight sets of pajamas.  When we
hiked in Virginia last April Vacation her pack weight before food was down to
13 pounds.  Now she hikes very fast.  Gets into camp so exhausted that she
has to sleep.  She is the most enthusiastic kid I have worked with and has
spent considerable time teaching other kids what she knows about backpacking.
 So, the newbie girls came with light packs - phew.
    There were two other adults on the trip.  John, 57, health inspector for
the town of Manchester, who has hiked with me often including 100 MIle
Wilderness last August.  And Eric, 26, first year mathematics teacher, first
time backpacker.  Eric didn't trust my advice and carried extra supplies,
food, etc.  But he is young and strong so it worked.
    We parked one car at the bottom of St John's Ledges then drove back to
Hoyt Road to leave the other two vehicles.  We left the cars at 4 PM headed
south without packs to the NY/CT border. Returned to the parking lot to pick
up our packs the headed north to 10 mile River Camp Ground.  About 1 mile out
of camp we met a family of four carrying huge packs with the hope of a BP to
New Hampshire border.  In 3 hours they had made only 2 miles.  The mother was
so overloaded that she fell on her face and could not get out from under her
pack without help.  We talked with them in camp.  They were hoping to do 8
miles per day.  Hope they made it but we never saw them again.   After making
camp and having dinner it began to rain lightly.  We retired to our tents for
the evening hoping for an early start on Sunday.