[at-l] Interesting quote

I came across a quote some of you AT historians may enjoy.  From John
McPhee's "In Suspect Terrain."  In it he quotes the Reverend F. F. (Felix?)
Ellinwood who gave the dedication sermon at the Church of the Mountain in
Delaware Water Gap on August 29, 1854:

"The rude blasts of six thousand winters have howled in undaunted wildness
over the consecrated spot, while yet its predicted destiny was not fulfilled.
 But here, at length, stands, in very deed the church firmly built upon the
rock, and it is our hope and prayer that the gates of hell shall not prevail
against it.  .  .  . For many centuries past has Jehovah dwelt in the rocky
fastnesses of this mountain.  Ere there was a human ear to listen, His voice
was uttered here in the sighing of the breeze and the thunder of the storms,
which even then were wont to writhe in the close grapple of this narrow
gorge.  Ere one human footstep had invaded the wildness of the place, or the
hand of art had applied the drill and blast to the silent rock, God's hand
was working here alone -- delving out its deep, rugged pathway for yonder
river, and clothing those gigantic bluffs and terraces with undying verdure,
and the far gleaming brightness of their laurel bloom."

BTW, I place this here because of its value as Trail history and literature
to us, most definitely NOT to get into a religious discussion.  Thanks!  :)

Happy trails,

Solar Bear

"The true profession of a man is to find his way to himself."  Still looking,
but I'm not finding any blazes.  :)