Re: [at-l] Glucosamine Chondroitin Update

Well, I've been away for a while and see the Glucosamine thread is still
alive and well. For those of you interested there are a few firms that are
packaging Glucosamine with MSM.

From some source on the internet...

"MSM is a bioavailable sulfur compound that occurs naturally in a wide
variety  of unprocessed food items. Sulfur is an integral component of
various amino acids, vitamins, antioxidant compounds, coenzymes and
hormones.  Sulfur also contributes to the formation of double bonds that
give rise to the structural characteristics of collagen, Glucosamine and
numerous proteins."

There is the typical advertising hype associated with this. If you read
all the books and magazine articles that appear regularly with various
ideas to combat arthritis you find all sorts of things to take. However, I
have been using this combination with MSM and really feel that it's more
effective the just glucosamine. Of course, YMMV.

Regarding running and arthritis, the single most beneficial thing you can
do to help is to get extra weight off, and take glucosamine, of course ;-)
I've learned not to rely on just running to keep my weight down but to
combine that with a very good diet. Also, I try to bike about 1/3 the time
to provide some good, lower impact x-training. Find yourself some hills
and your legs will be burning in no time.

Anyway, just thought I'd add my .02 on the subject.

Best to all,
Uncle Milt