From: ben varadi <ben@supervillains.org>
To: at-l@backcountry.net <at-l@backcountry.net>
Date: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 10:17 AM
Subject: [at-l] "space blanket" bivy?

posted this to backpackinglight, with no response...

i do most of my hiking in the summer, and i fall asleep fast and hard- so i
usually just bring a woolen blanket and a pad.  i was in EMS the other day,
though- and i saw an "emergency bivy"- apparently, it's a tougher, ripstop
version of the space blanket material, sewn into a bivy or sleeping bag
shape.  it's $20.00, weighs maybe 3/4 pound, and comes with its own stuff
sack.  anyone have experience using one of these instead of a bag?  how
about experiences using just a regular space blanket?  i carry a SD clip
flashlight (i think the weight saved on a sleeping bag justifies a larger
tent), so it won't be serving as shelter...  love to hear if anyone has
thoughts...

-BEN
maybe not a lightweight hiker,
but definitely lightwallet.