Re: [at-l] tents?

>>> fryerse <fryerse@wku.edu> 04/17/00 02:47PM >>>
I'm thinking about buying a 1 man bivy from a friend.  Everyone one seems to hate them on the trail, does anyone like them?
     I can't remember the brand name, but it's about 3 feet tall near the door tapering to the feet.  With a vestibule (spelling?) large enough for a pack and boots. My main concern is getting out of the rain changing and sliping into a dry bag with out drentching the inside of my tent and everything in it. Has anyone perfected a way of doing this? Shane

### I am a through and through bivy guy, but what you describe is a one man tent sold be manufacturers as a "bivy" for marketing reasons. A bivy is an envelope for your sleeping bag, a shelter just big enough to get into, maybe with armholes for the climber-types, maybe with netting for the AT types. "True bivys have no stakes." Extremely handy if you are pressed for space to camp: if you can lay down, you're home.
### Dealing with wet weather is done differently by everyone, but basically, you figure it out, remember it, and go "Gee! That was easy!" Tarps postpone the lesson, but their luxury can become addicting if you camp at all ( — using a bizy assumes you're out of camp pdq).
### Check the weight on your buddy's bivy (and say that three times fast: buddy's bivy buddy's bivy buddy's bivy) — it'll likely be heavier than the Wanderlustgear.com Nomad.

Sloeness, but lightness, of Toe.