Re: [at-l] Cheerio writes in from Fontana...

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:31:02 EDT ATnavi@aol.com writes:
> 5.  Food.
 Breakfast chioces are like
> oatmeal,poptarts, nutrigrain bars, instant breakfast etc.  I'm
> discovering I don't> like to cook in am and can't eat much oatmeal and
poptarts are heavy > and start to stick in your throat so getting down to
nutrigrain
> bars!  looking> for suggestions??!  Lunch I need to rethink lots.  has
been mostly
> types of granola bars, peanut butter crackers, etc.  think need to

Suggestions - cold cereal with dried milk. Nestles makes a version of
dried milk (called NIDO) that is whole milk, not skim - sold in ethnic
groceries (around here, in Safeway and Giant too ).  We found that raisin
bran and granola worked best  for us - most calories for least bulk -
cheerios were light, but had no staying power. A box of cereal lasts the
two of us only two to three days, figure 2-3 "servings" as a breakfast.
A lot of AT hikers ate sugar coated bombs, but I like at least a pretense
of healthy.  Granola can be eaten either hot or cold, depending on
weather and has a lot of calories.  Lunch - cheese, peanut butter
sandwiches or gorp work for me, especially if you can find english
muffins.  Spam and sausage are ok for a change, but the fat gets to me
pretty quickly, plus it doesn't do well in the heat.  Jim would eat spam
or cheese.  What Jim and I did last year - get up and eat cereal and
either coffee or tea, walk an hour, eat a handful of gorp (raisins and
chocolate since JIm won't eat nuts), walk another hour, eat a pop tart or
granola bar, walk another hour and eat a hard candy or some gorp, walk
another hour, eat lunch, walk a couple hours, eat some dried fruit, then
keep taking breaks every hour or two with either a hard candy or a
handful of gorp, then finally, about an hour before dark, stop and cook
dinner: soup, liptons, hot choc and cookies (JIm and I would split one
soup and one chocolate, most of the time, but we had two liptons in the
pot.)   On this diet, Jim lost 55 lbs and I lost about 10 -- go figure.
But we had energy.
Have fun,
Ginny
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!